Respected Counsel fights for your rights in Canada
Being arrested for a crime in Calgary can be a stressful, intimidating experience, affecting nearly every aspect of your personal and professional life. Depending on the nature of your case, your driving privileges may be restricted, property may be seized, and you may face a long and exhaustive court process that ends with incarceration. Further, you could wind up with a criminal record — a penalty that could restrict your ability to travel, find a job, and a place to live.
However, it is important you understand that you have certain inalienable rights. By hiring a criminal defence lawyer, you can ensure those rights are protected during every phase of your case — from arrest to judgment.
I am Yoav Niv, an experienced criminal defence lawyer in Calgary. I focus on helping Canadians defend against criminal charges ranging from simple drug possession to first-degree murder. No matter how complicated your case may seem, I am ready to use my vast criminal law knowledge and skill to help you devise a solid defence.
Criminal defence cases we handle
My past cases have proven my ability to consistently achieve effective results for my criminal defence clients in Calgary and across Alberta. I recognize that you are nervous about the road ahead — I will be with your every step of the way, answering your questions and explaining the process. Further, I will discuss my defence strategy for your case with you in detail before your trial so you know exactly what to expect. At every turn, my goal is to protect your reputation, rights, and freedom.
I routinely represent clients accused of the following crimes in Calgary:
- Organized crime — The phrase “organized crime” is an umbrella term that actually encompasses many different offences. The Canadian Encyclopedia defines organized crime as, “…a group of three or more people whose purpose is the commission of one or more serious offences that would “likely result in the direct or indirect receipt of a material benefit, including a financial benefit, by the group.” Fraud, drugs, vehicle theft, street gangs, identity theft, gambling, and prostitution are only some of the most common organized crime offences.
- Violent crimes — Violent crimes are some of the most serious offences in the Canadian criminal code. Since these offences cause injury, harm, or death to others, they are punished severely. If you are arrested for assault, domestic violence, manslaughter, homicide, or any other violent crime, seek competent counsel immediately — everything is at stake.
- Domestic violence — Not to be confused with regular assault, domestic violence can only occur between family or household members. And, your relationship with the alleged victim is considered an “aggravating factor,” which may result in more severe penalties. Canadian law aims to protect victims in domestic violence cases and thus rarely drops charges without reason.
- Bail — A bail hearing is a critical point in your trial. My goal is to get you released from jail as soon as the law allows. Keep in mind that, at this time, your freedom is on the line.
- Drug Charges — The penalties you face for a drug charge in Calgary depend on many factors that, include your criminal history, the type of drug, the quantity of drug in question, and whether you were arrested for possession or trafficking.
- Financial crimes — I help clients combat charges for a range of financial crimes such as fraud, bribery, insider dealing, money laundering, and identity theft.
The criminal justice system is vast and unforgiving. If you are arrested for any type of crime, consult with a skilled defence counsel as soon as possible.
Why hire a criminal defence lawyer?
Criminal defence clients sometimes wonder, Do I really need a lawyer? The short answer is: absolutely. Whether you are charged with drug possession, theft, or a more serious offence such as sexual assault or armed robbery, a lawyer provides the professional guidance and support required to protect your rights and future. Here are a few reasons you need to hire a criminal defence lawyer:
- Devise a strong defence — Your lawyer understands the law and the criminal process inside and out. After reviewing the details of your arrest, your Calgary lawyer can help you tailor a strong defence.
- Protect your rights — Law enforcement must not violate your rights when stopping or arresting you. Your lawyer can ensure your rights are protected at the time of your arrest and later during your criminal trial.
- Help you understand the charges — Your lawyer can make sure you understand the charges against you, the penalties you face, and other aspects of the criminal justice process in Canada.
Your lawyer can also appear with you in court, ease your nerves, answer your questions, and represent your best interests before the Court.
What should you do if you are facing criminal charges?
The moment you are arrested or believe you might be the subject of a criminal investigation, you must contact a defence lawyer. The sooner you seek legal help, the sooner your lawyer can start gathering evidence to prove your innocence. Also, always cooperate with law enforcement and the prosecution. Remain calm and be polite — losing your cool will only work against you.
Contact a veteran criminal defence lawyer in Calgary.
My name is Yoav Niv, and I am an experienced criminal defence lawyer who fights passionately for accused persons in Calgary and throughout Alberta. Whether you are arrested for theft, organized crime, drug trafficking, domestic violence, or any other offence, I am ready to take your case. For more information or to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case with me, call 587-968-6721 or contact me online. Office located in Calgary for your convenience.