Respected Counsel fights for your rights in Canada
Being arrested for a crime in Calgary can be a stressful, intimidating experience, affecting nearly every aspect of your personal and professional life. Depending on the nature of your case, your driving privileges may be restricted, property may be seized, and you may face a long and exhaustive court process that ends with incarceration. Further, you could wind up with a criminal record — a penalty that could restrict your ability to travel, find a job, and a place to live.
However, it is important you understand that you have certain inalienable rights. By hiring a criminal defence lawyer, you can ensure those rights are protected during every phase of your case — from arrest to judgment.
I am Yoav Niv, an experienced criminal defence lawyer in Calgary. I focus on helping Canadians defend against criminal charges ranging from simple drug possession to first-degree murder. No matter how complicated your case may seem, I am ready to use my vast criminal law knowledge and skill to help you devise a solid defence.
Criminal defence cases we handle
My past cases have proven my ability to consistently achieve effective results for my criminal defence clients in Calgary and across Alberta. I recognize that you are nervous about the road ahead — I will be with your every step of the way, answering your questions and explaining the process. Further, I will discuss my defence strategy for your case with you in detail before your trial so you know exactly what to expect. At every turn, my goal is to protect your reputation, rights, and freedom.
I routinely represent clients accused of the following crimes in Calgary:
- Organized crime — The phrase “organized crime” is an umbrella term that actually encompasses many different offences. The Canadian Encyclopedia defines organized crime as, “…a group of three or more people whose purpose is the commission of one or more serious offences that would “likely result in the direct or indirect receipt of a material benefit, including a financial benefit, by the group.” Fraud, drugs, vehicle theft, street gangs, identity theft, gambling, and prostitution are only some of the most common organized crime offences.
- Violent crimes — Violent crimes are some of the most serious offences in the Canadian criminal code. Since these offences cause injury, harm, or death to others, they are punished severely. If you are arrested for assault, domestic violence, manslaughter, homicide, or any other violent crime, seek competent counsel immediately — everything is at stake.
- Domestic violence — Not to be confused with regular assault, domestic violence can only occur between family or household members. And, your relationship with the alleged victim is considered an “aggravating factor,” which may result in more severe penalties. Canadian law aims to protect victims in domestic violence cases and thus rarely drops charges without reason.
- Bail — A bail hearing is a critical point in your trial. My goal is to get you released from jail as soon as the law allows. Keep in mind that, at this time, your freedom is on the line.
- Drug Charges — The penalties you face for a drug charge in Calgary depend on many factors that, include your criminal history, the type of drug, the quantity of drug in question, and whether you were arrested for possession or trafficking.
- Financial crimes — I help clients combat charges for a range of financial crimes such as fraud, bribery, insider dealing, money laundering, and identity theft.
The criminal justice system is vast and unforgiving. If you are arrested for any type of crime, consult with a skilled defence counsel as soon as possible.
Why hire a criminal defence lawyer?
Criminal defence clients sometimes wonder, Do I really need a lawyer? The short answer is: absolutely. Whether you are charged with drug possession, theft, or a more serious offence such as sexual assault or armed robbery, a lawyer provides the professional guidance and support required to protect your rights and future. Here are a few reasons you need to hire a criminal defence lawyer:
- Devise a strong defence — Your lawyer understands the law and the criminal process inside and out. After reviewing the details of your arrest, your Calgary lawyer can help you tailor a strong defence.
- Protect your rights — Law enforcement must not violate your rights when stopping or arresting you. Your lawyer can ensure your rights are protected at the time of your arrest and later during your criminal trial.
- Help you understand the charges — Your lawyer can make sure you understand the charges against you, the penalties you face, and other aspects of the criminal justice process in Canada.
Your lawyer can also appear with you in court, ease your nerves, answer your questions, and represent your best interests before the Court.
What should you do if you are facing criminal charges?
The moment you are arrested or believe you might be the subject of a criminal investigation, you must contact a defence lawyer. The sooner you seek legal help, the sooner your lawyer can start gathering evidence to prove your innocence. Remain calm and be polite — losing your cool will only work against you.
Contact a veteran criminal defence lawyer in Calgary.
My name is Yoav Niv, and I am an experienced criminal defence lawyer who fights passionately for accused persons in Calgary and throughout Alberta. Whether you are arrested for theft, organized crime, drug trafficking, domestic violence, or any other offence, I am ready to take your case. For more information or to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case with me, call 587-968-6721 or contact me online. Office located in Calgary for your convenience.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between a criminal defence lawyer and a prosecutor?
A criminal defence lawyer is tasked with defending the accused in a criminal trial; they protect the defendant’s legal rights and ensure the fairest possible outcome for their client. On the other hand, a prosecutor is responsible for representing the province or government in court proceedings and will work to prove guilt. While both roles require knowledge of criminal procedure and law, a defence lawyer will utilize strategies to advocate for their client’s innocence, while a prosecutor focuses on presenting evidence that may prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Both sides must rely on strong persuasive skills and an understanding of legal precedent to make arguments before a judge and/or a jury.
What is the role of a criminal defence lawyer?
Criminal defence lawyers play a critical role in the justice system by protecting the rights of those accused of crimes. A criminal defence lawyer’s duties include advocating for their clients—ensuring that they are afforded all the protections and due process to which they are entitled by law—and ensuring that all applicable legal defences are appropriately pursued. Additionally, they work to negotiate favourable outcomes such as reduced sentencing, alternative sentencing, or dismissal of charges. The ultimate aim is to ensure that their clients receive fair treatment from start to finish in the justice system. As primary defenders and protectors of an individual’s legal rights, criminal defence lawyers have a vital role within the criminal justice system.
What should I do if I have been charged with a crime?
If you are facing criminal charges, it is important to take action to protect your rights. It is best to contact a qualified legal professional to get advice on the best course of action that fits your particular situation. A lawyer will be able to review the facts and laws surrounding your case and provide valuable insights into how you can proceed. Additionally, they can help ensure that procedural steps are taken correctly, giving you the best chances of a favourable outcome. Taking decisive action when facing criminal charges is crucial, and enlisting quality counsel is important.
How can a criminal defence lawyer help me if I am a witness in a criminal case?
A criminal defence lawyer can provide invaluable insight and support to those appearing as witnesses in criminal proceedings. They can ensure that all applicable rights are respected and protected, advise on the relevant laws, clarify the purpose of questioning and aid the witness in providing clear and concise information. In addition, they can help reduce anxieties or unease by guiding the process, from preparation to giving testimony in court. Ultimately, having access to a criminal defence lawyer can immensely benefit those involved in a criminal case as a witness.
What should I do if I have been the victim of a crime?
If you have been the victim of a crime, it is important that you immediately reach out for support. This may include informing a family member or friend and/or speaking to the police. While contacting the police is not always necessary, depending on the offence, it can provide valuable information in navigating what steps are available for justice. Additionally, advocacy organizations may make investigative resources for certain types of crimes available. Reporting a crime should be an empowering opportunity to hold those breaking the law and violating someone’s rights accountable.
EXPERIENCED & SKILLED
My criminal defence practice operates under the philosophy that all individuals are presumed innocent and have the right to a dedicated defence and a fair trial.
& CASE REVIEW
Yoav Niv provides a free 45 minute initial consultation to all of his potential clients.
TO HELP & SUPPORT
Contact us online to schedule a free consultation, or call to learn more about how we can help.