Weapons trafficking is a serious crime that involves the illegal trade of firearms, explosives, and other weapons. It can pose a significant threat to public safety and national security, and as a result, it is heavily regulated and punished by the Canadian legal system.
If you have been charged with weapons trafficking in Calgary, it is important that you seek the guidance of an experienced criminal defence lawyer as soon as possible. Yoav Niv is a reputable and skilled lawyer with extensive experience defending clients against weapons trafficking charges in Calgary and the surrounding area.
What is Weapons Trafficking?
Under Canadian law, weapons trafficking refers to the illegal sale, import, export, or distribution of firearms, explosives, and other weapons. It is a serious offence that is punishable by imprisonment and significant fines.
There are a number of activities that can be considered weapons trafficking under Canadian law, including:
- Selling or transferring firearms or other weapons without a valid license or registration
- Importing or exporting firearms or other weapons without the necessary permits or authorization
- Possessing firearms or other weapons with the intent to sell or distribute them illegally
- Brokering the sale or transfer of firearms or other weapons
- Transporting firearms or other weapons across international borders without the proper documentation
It is important to note that even if you are not directly involved in the sale or transfer of weapons, you can still be charged with weapons trafficking if you are found to be facilitating or supporting the illegal trade in any way.
Penalties for Weapons Trafficking
The penalties for weapons trafficking depend on the specific circumstances of the case and the severity of the offence. However, in general, weapons trafficking is a severe crime that can result in significant fines and imprisonment.
Under the Criminal Code of Canada, the maximum penalty for weapons trafficking is life imprisonment. However, the actual sentence will depend on various factors, including the type and quantity of weapons involved, the nature of the offence, and the defendant’s criminal history.
In addition to imprisonment, a conviction for weapons trafficking can result in significant fines and the seizure of any assets or property related to the offence.
Defences to Weapons Trafficking Charges
If you have been charged with weapons trafficking, you must consult with a skilled criminal defence lawyer as soon as possible. Yoav Niv has extensive experience defending clients against weapons trafficking charges in Calgary and the surrounding area, and he can help you understand your rights and options.
There are a number of defences that may be available to you depending on the specific circumstances of your case. Some potential defences to weapons trafficking charges include:
- Lack of intent: To be convicted of weapons trafficking, the prosecutor must prove that you had the intent to sell, distribute, or transfer firearms or other weapons illegally. If you can show that you did not have this intent, you may be able to avoid a conviction.
- Lack of knowledge: You may be able to defend yourself against weapons trafficking charges if you can show that you did not know of the existence of the weapons that were being traded illegally.
- Entrapment: If you were coerced or entrapped into committing the offence by law enforcement officers or undercover agents, you might be able to use this as a defence.
It is important to note that these defences may not be applicable in all cases, and the specific defences available to you will depend on the facts of your case. An experienced criminal defence lawyer like Yoav Niv can help you understand your rights and options and develop a strategy to defend yourself against weapons trafficking charges.
How Yoav Niv Can Help
If you have been charged with weapons trafficking in Calgary, it is essential that you seek the guidance of an experienced criminal defence lawyer as soon as possible. Yoav Niv has extensive experience defending clients against weapons trafficking charges in Calgary and the surrounding area, and he can help you understand your rights and options.
Yoav Niv will thoroughly review the facts of your case and advise you on the best course of action. He will work tirelessly to protect your rights and interests, and he will do everything in his power to help you achieve the best possible outcome.
If you have been charged with weapons trafficking in Calgary, don’t hesitate to contact Yoav Niv for a confidential consultation. He is here to help you navigate this challenging and complex legal process and fight for your rights and freedoms.
EXPERIENCED & SKILLED
My criminal defence practice operates under the philosophy that all individuals are presumed innocent and have the right to a dedicated defence and a fair trial.
& CASE REVIEW
Yoav Niv provides a free 45 minute initial consultation to all of his potential clients.
TO HELP & SUPPORT
Contact us online to schedule a free consultation, or call to learn more about how we can help.